Movember is (sadly) over, but that doesn’t mean we can’t start planning for next year! I put up this fun Movember Display at The Cambridge Idea Exchange this month, resulting in giggles all around.
- Hunt through your collection for book covers featuring big clear faces.
- Cut out 15 or so construction paper mustaches.
- Attach said mustaches to said books.
- Print out any number of mustache puns: I [mustache] you to check out these great books
- Hang ridiculous images of mustached men
- Print out a Take a Mustache poster with rip-off mustache tabs. Expect to replace this poster daily.
- Sprinkle extra mustaches around display. Expect these to be stolen and worn by giddy patrons.
- During November you can even order a free promo pack from the official Movember organization – including big informational posters about men’s health.
I also ran a mustache selfie contest. Participants had to take a picture with their best fake mustache and their current read. The winner got the new Divergent book, some fuzzy stick on mustaches from the dollar store, and 3 mustache/book themed buttons (which I make with our new button maker). We promoted this contest on the teen library website, with posters around the library, and with promotional book marks.
One thing I would change next year is adding another sign confirming that Yes these books can be checked-out. About half of the books on the display circulated (and were replaced by new mustachio-ed ones), but I had a couple patrons hesitate before taking one.
Congrats to Kathleen who won the Clemens Mill Movember Draw! She’s pictured here with librarian Karissa and her prize pic.twitter.com/OKTYt1Ax9W
— Idea Exchange (@IdeaXchng) December 9, 2014
What does your library do for Movember? What books would you stick mustaches on?
2 thoughts on “Make Your Own Movember Display in 8 Easy Steps!”
[…] Displays can be awesome. They can also be dull and ignored. My job is to make them awesome. I did a Movember display a couple months ago, I’m about to launch a Blind Date With a Book display, and I’m […]
[…] to do epic love stories again? Only chose non-fiction books with “Love” in the title. Movember is an excellent excuse to tape mustaches onto books with faces on the covers. Although you probably […]