At one of my libraries, we have regularly post YouTube videos on our Teen site. It adds content, keeps things interesting, and gives teens a reason to keep checking back. Here are a few of my favourite YouTube videos for teens – some educational, some hilarious, all interesting. These would work great as social media content for libraries as well.
13 Great YouTube Videos For Teens
- What are you afraid of? Vancouver Film School student Nata Metlukh created this surprisingly adorable animation about fear to help us remember that everyone experiences anxiety. And sometimes it can actually be helpful.
Fears from Nata Metlukh on Vimeo.
2. What makes you happy? Money, vacations, books? The answer might not be as simple as you think. YouTube sensation Soul Pancake has launched a series to explore the science of happiness. Watch as they explore the fascinating correlation between expressing gratitude and feeling happy.
3. John Green (author of The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns) didn’t always used to be so successful…especially in school. Here he discusses the experience of high school, the importance of moving forward, and the beauty of second (and hundredth) chances. And of course it’s hilarious.
4. What superpower would you like to have? Flying, invisibility, mind reading, mega-strength? This Life Noggin video explores the science of superpowers – some of them might not be so impossible after all.
5. Turns out there’s a science of everything…even studying! School is back and so are tests, homework, and study sessions. Find out how to make the most out of every moment you spend studying…and maybe you’ll even free up some extra time:
6. Would you rather stay in and read, or go to a party? Are you a thinker or a feeler? Do you like to focus on the big picture, or the little details? Watch below to learn about Myers-Briggs personality types – it might help you understand yourself and your friends a little better. Plus there are rainbow ponies.
7. How would you change the world? World peace, teleportation, bringing back dinosaurs? Watch as people aged 0-100 answer that tough question. Check out more questions they answered here.
8. How stressed are you? How often do you really get a chance to fully relax? Science says everyday activities, like reading before bed, laughing, and even drinking tea (yay!) can significantly reduce stress levels. Watch below for a uniquely adorable solution, and learn how to “make stress your friend” here.
9. It seems like everything these days is about finding the correct answer. Science continues to progress, and we make new discoveries every day. But there are still some questions that we may never be able to answer. Check out the Ted Talk below to dive into some of the few mysteries left on Earth.
10. Adele’s raw talent and chillingly powerful voice has been wowing everyone for the past few years. Her newest album, 25, has already broken records. But did you know that she has a spot-on sense of humor too? Watch below as she goes undercover and pranks a group of Adele impersonators.
11. Love is in the air…but what does that really mean? As always, YouTube Channel LifeNoggin proves that there really is a science to everything: even love. Also interesting: The History of Marriage and The Single Life.
12. There’s something great about silliness. It surprises people, brings us together, and helps us gain perspective. And the flash mob group Improv Everywhere is great at it. Watch below as thousands of people participate in their popular MP3 Flash Mob series. More interesting scenes caused by Improv Everywhere: Harry Potter in Real Life, The Mute Button, Invisible Dogs, and Frozen Grand Central.
13. DIY projects are awesome, school supplies are awesome… add them together and you get this video! Watch as Rachel walks you through some of her favourite “weird DIY school supplies” projects. Yes that’s a pizza pencil case. Yes you can make it yourself.